From: Michael Grant [mailto:mgr...@modus.bz]
Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2010 5:42 AM
To: cf-community
Subject: Did you ever have to make up your mind

Pick up on one and leave the other behind It's not often easy and not often
kind...

Ok. So here's the sitch. I am currently finishing up a three month contract
with a very very well respected agency. They have a client list that's
extremely impressive as well as a brand new building that's amazing. The
cool factor is off the charts with this place. The pay is pretty good but
not as stellar as it could be. It does however offer the type of experience
that looks amazing on a resume. They have made me a full time developer
offer (which apparently in and of itself is supposed to make me swoon) for
the same salary, three weeks vacay and benefits. However it's a 90 minute
drive.

I've been offered more of a management position at a smaller company. $5k
less a year but with a possible bonus structure that has a ceiling of 15% of
my salary. The salary is really good for the city it's in. I'm unsure about
vacay and I don't expect there will be benefits. However the sky is the
limit regarding prospective salary if my game is tight, which it is. The
client list is much less impressive. Steady work for smaller clients. The
cool factor is akin to a hyundai accent. It's about a five minute car ride
or a ten minute bike ride.

The base salary is almost identical when you factor in gasoline and vehicle
maintenance. The earning potential is actually higher with the local
company. It's not nearly as cool though and won't impress future employers
nearly as much. What do I do? I keep flip flopping. On one hand I think the
cool company can probably teach me a lot but 90 minutes each way is brutal
and I'm seeing my kids a lot less than I would like during the week.

Any opinions would be the shiz.