On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Jerry Barnes <critic...@gmail.com> wrote:

> " Republican's were in favor of killing this item but didn't want to let
> Democrats have an issue that was good for small business prior to the
> election."
>
> That's funny.  Weren't the Democrats the ones who put it in the bill?

I'm not sure who put it in the original markup, actually, but I would
guess a Democrat, yes. And it was largely viewed later on as being a
bad idea. That happens a lot with large bills. Small provisions make
it in, the markup is finalized and when it is debated and discussed
later it is realized that there are parts that ought to be corrected.
If the changes are relatively small and there are competing
amendments, they'll often pass the bill as is and then later create
subsequent amendments to fix the issues in the original bill.

In this case, the vote to filibuster the amendment that pretty much
everyone agrees is a good idea is an example of cutting off your nose
to spit your face.

Juda