Huffington Post has a good article that explores this line of reasoning.

That fragile democracies give way to radical islamic theocracies (Iran).

"While some are talking loudly and long about cutting government
spending, it is doubtful they will discuss cuts in a $40-billion-plus
annual "intelligence" budget. This, despite the fact that our
intelligence services and our far-flung diplomatic network failed to
foresee the historic upheaval now underway throughout the Western end
of the Muslim world.

There is at least an even chance that we are now entering a rare cycle
of history that may take 20 to 30 years to resolve itself, with
autocracies giving way to fragile democracies that in turn will evolve
into radical fundamentalist regimes (think Iran), and possible civil
wars. For the world's greatest superpower, this is a quandary. It is
an even greater quandary when that superpower depends for a quarter of
its oil imports on supplies from that region."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gary-hart/catching-up-with-history_b_817834.html

It also explores the influence of the West (Including US of course) in
these regions.