Does anybody on this list still participate in general technology
discussions?  Or has the list devolved to be solely political haranguing?

If not, I received an e-mail today that I *THINK* is probably a phishing
ploy, but I do not understand how it works if it is.  I'm curious how
this might work, if it is truly a phishing attack.  I did not act on
anything in the email, but I did report it through the web site by going
directly to it and asking to be unsubscribed if this was actually a
legit email from them.

The email is from US Bank.  I was a customer with US Bank last century,
but I am no longer.  The message of the e-mail is basically "Thank You
for signing up for marketing and special offers emails, If you don't
want these click here".  Pretty standard phishing fare.  But two things
confuse me.  One, the email is addressed directly and correctly to my
full name.  That seems a bit unusual for a large phishing blast.
Secondly, the urls in the links *seem* to be to a legitimate US Bank
domain: email.usbank.com.  That brings up the possibility that some
system at US Bank intentionally or unintentionally dug up my decade old
account information.

As I said, the urls of the links in the email seem to be pointing to a
true US Bank domain, but they do still look funny.  There is an awfully
long, apparently encoded string after the domain.  Is there someway
links like these would end up somewhere of value to a phishing
organization?  The only idea that occurs to me, is hacks of the US Banks
servers?  That maybe there are pages on their site not of their design?
But one would hope that a big organization like an national bank would
have better security then that!  Yeah I know, slim hope.

The unsubscribe link:
http://email.usbank.com/1cfe9c922layfousiaepmgjqaaaaaaxibpzoamsziniyaaaaa/C?V=bF9pbmRleAEBcHJvZmlsZV9pZAExNTYwMzc4OTcyAXppcF9jb2RlAQFfV0FWRV9JRF8BMTA1NTg4ODQyAV9QTElTVF9JRF8BMzIxMDIxMwFnX2luZGV4AQFlbWFpbF9hZGRyAWlsc3dlYkBwYWNiZWxsLm5ldAFfU0NIRF9UTV8BMjAxMTAzMDEwOTM1MjEBcHJvZmlsZV9rZXkBaWxzd2ViQHBhY2JlbGwubmV0&grOz5TwAUxDZUKK6Pgm9wg

Other links in the email:
http://email.usbank.com/1e4423738layfousiaepmgkaaaaaaaxibpzoamsziniyaaaaa

http://email.usbank.com/10756036clayfousiaepmgkiaaaaaaxibpzoamsziniyaaaaa/C?V=bF9pbmRleAEBcHJvZmlsZV9pZAExNTYwMzc4OTcyAXppcF9jb2RlAQFfV0FWRV9JRF8BMTA1NTg4ODQyAV9QTElTVF9JRF8BMzIxMDIxMwFnX2luZGV4AQFlbWFpbF9hZGRyAWlsc3dlYkBwYWNiZWxsLm5ldAFfU0NIRF9UTV8BMjAxMTAzMDEwOTM1MjEBcHJvZmlsZV9rZXkBaWxzd2ViQHBhY2JlbGwubmV0&grOz5TwAUxDZUKK6Pgm9wg

http://email.usbank.com/1f91b59d1layfousiaepmgkqaaaaaaxibpzoamsziniyaaaaa

http://email.usbank.com/11a0f6d85layfousiaepmgkyaaaaaaxibpzoamsziniyaaaaa

http://email.usbank.com/131a4939flayfousiaepmgjiaaaaaaxibpzoamsziniyaaaaa