Jerry Milo Johnson <jmi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> fwiw, we had a cancer cluster in our neighborhood growing up. way too
> many leukemias and severe cancers for the statistics.

Yeah, well you have to account for the zillion of things that affect
health that are in the environment like radon gas, etc etc.

For example i bet more people die of sea-related disease in T&T than
in Wisconsin.  Thus T&T is a "disease cluster".

More interesting, Doctors themselves can create disease clusters:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=113571111

Three weeks after her first appointment, Tremblay went into the
hospital and had her uterus and ovaries removed — a total
hysterectomy. After the operation, her doctor explained what he had
found.

"It was what he called the seed of cancer," says Tremblay. "It wasn't
cancer, but it had the potential of developing into it."

Twenty-nine years old is pretty young for a hysterectomy. But in the
mid-'70s in Lewiston, Maine, lots of women were getting them. Tremblay
says she herself knew a bunch.

"My boss that I had when I worked at Kmart, she had one shortly after
I did," Tremblay recalls. "One of my friends that I've had since I was
6 years old, she had one. Just about anyone you talked to would say
'Oh I had a hysterectomy!' 'Oh yeah I did — so and so did mine!' There
was a lot of them. I do remember that