Vivec <gel21...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I call BS on this story.
> It's a report on a report in another magazine, with nothing verified
> (and no doubt, nothing verifiable)
>
> Al Qaeda seem to be doing just fine operating out of Pakistan.

I'm too lazy to do any real research, but AQ in Brazil has been in the
news / media / books for years.  At least I've been reading about it.

Anyway, a 2 second google search turned up the following ...

>From 2 years ago:
http://in.reuters.com/article/2009/05/26/idINIndia-39893620090526

Brazil's federal police have arrested a high-ranking al Qaeda
operative in Sao Paulo and are keeping him under tight security, a
local newspaper reported on Tuesday.

The suspect is allegedly a chief of international communications for
al Qaeda, according to the report in Folha de S.Paulo, Brazil's
largest daily newspaper.

KEY -> Brazil is home to one of the largest Arab populations outside
the Middle East, with most residing in Sao Paulo and Foz do Iguacu

The U.S. government has claimed on several occasions in recent years
that Arabs in the so-called tri-border around Foz do Iguacu raise
money for militant groups in the Middle East. Brazil has repeatedly
denied the accusation, calling it unfounded.