Of course he's a Democrat. He'll never survive Iowa. I wonder if he
thinks he can actually win the nomination or if he has his same old
agenda - self-promotion.

Spending is not the issue, it is a symptom of a much larger, global
problem that is now the elephant in the room in US political
discourse. There is no good way out of our current predicament. We
can't just dial back spending and fix the economy. I believe that
globalization is going to continue to accelerate and further hollow
out the middle class. Cutting spending, especially focused on social
programs for the poor rather than retirement benefits for the elderly,
risks creating a society stratified into a relatively well-off retired
population and an increasingly desperate young working population. And
that's a recipe for a revolution.

Which is why so much effort is now being focused on saving the current
system, even though it is clearly broken. I'm now thinking that we're
in Libya because of currency. Gaddahfi was talking about creating a
gold-backed dinar among oil producers and Muslim nations that would be
the only currency they traded oil for. Remember, we're locked in a
symbiont system with the oil producers and other producer nations of
the world. It all works through and because of the dollar. But the
dollar has been under sustained assault by China and other nations
through exchange rate manipulation. Seen in this light TARP, QE/QE2,
and the stimulus are all just attempts by the US to correct the
imbalance by depressing the value of the dollar in an attempt to
offset currency manipulation by China, et al.

Or consider it a different way. What do we consider the US economy? Is
it all the economic activity inside the US? I tend to think of the
"US" economy as all transactions conducted in US dollars, or the
extended US economy to include value chains like manufacturers in
China and service providers in India who sell into the US market.
Expanding the money supply to cover this larger definition of the
economy provides an explanation about why we can run deficits and
print money. The whole system is just too fragile and too many
self-interested parties are assaulting it at a structural level.
That's why it's ultimately going to fail.