"Is this any different from Rush Limbaugh encouraging his listeners to fudge
various democratic party primaries?"

Since I don't listen to Rush Limbaugh, I can't say for sure.  But I do know
that in several elections, progressives put up tea party candidates to
siphon off conservative votes.  I also know of elections where democratic
candidates gave money to republican candidates in primaries.  So, would I be
surprised if Rush Limbaugh did this?  Absolutely not.

"But reading the article and other sources, it seems to me that encouraging
Republican moderates may be a good thing. At the very least it would
increase their chances of being elected and encourage independents and
centerist democrats voting for a republican candidate."

I don't have a problem with calling for moderate Republicans.  How about
calling for some moderate democrats to run for office?

-

[I am] in accord with the President [Roosevelt] in the view that the virtue
of duty, readiness for sacrifice, and discipline should dominate the entire
people. These moral demands which the President places before every
individual citizen of the United States are also the quintessence of the
German state philosophy, which finds its expression in the slogan "The
Public Weal Transcends the Interest of the Individual" - Adolf Hitler

President Roosevelt's words are clear and need no comment to make even the
deaf hear that not only Europe but the whole world feels the need of
executive authority capable of acting with full powers of cutting short the
purposeless chatter of legislative assemblies. - Benito Musolini