Her contention was probably very inaccurate.

According to most of what I have read, in 1860, things were pretty
punitive to slaves.

Women were specifically bred with specific "studs" depending on what
traits the children were wanted to have.
Women were often and continually raped by the owners, not just the
patriarch, but also any male children who wanted to.
Families were purposefully split apart, to keep families from forming.

Not 100% true, but systemic and brutal.

Unless you count that the slave children were living on the same place
as their mother (slave) and father (owner).

in 1840, 1820, even 1780 there were more likely to be "enlightened"
owners, who realized that "happy" slaves produced the best, and who
allowed families to stay together where possible.

by 1860, those "enlightened" owners had for the most part gotten out
of the slavery business. Those that left were the worst of the worst.

My take.
Jerry