With data, it is almost always easier and cheaper to start clean and
import into the new database that to try to fix a badly designed
schema and poorly written data retrieval code. Especially true with
all the really good new tools for cleaning and importing data.

Facebook's only issue with moving data to a new system is volume - the
actual time it would take to copy, clean and test the billions of
records and transactions. Another way might be to only put new stuff
in the new system, except for the members and archive all the
historical posts, as almost all the interaction - adds, comments,
shares, etc. is on very recent information.