On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 1:56 PM, GMoney <gm0n3...@gmail.com> wrote:
> (This current row is no different. We go into a hissy fit over an
> unemployment rate that most countries would die to have.)

You know, I read this bit the other day and it's been sticking in the
back of my head. I wondered if it was true at all, so I did some quick
searching about unemployment rates by country. I went to the CIA World
Factbook as they tend to have good info on these sorts of things and
lo and behold, they do rank this info:
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2129rank.html

In short, the US comes in 108 out of 199 countries in unemployment
rate, so there are 107 countries with lower unemployment rates and 90
with higher unemployment rates, so that claim is demonstrably false.

Furthermore, look at the countries that have recently been undergoing
upheaval in the Arab Spring. Egypt has a lower unemployment rate.
Syria has a lower unemployment rate. Algeria is one spot higher in the
list. Jordan is a couple percent worse than us. Morocco has a lower
rate. You get the picture.

People aren't whinging about the unemployment rate in the US (though
it certainly isn't good), they are protesting about the fundamental
inequality in the current economic/political system. More wealth is
concentrated in the hands of the top 1% than any time since the Great
Depression. Corporations are now considered "people" under the law.
Governments have been given wide latitude to enact eminent domain for
"economic development".  Unregulated financial groups brought our
country to the brink of collapse and are now back to raking in record
profits after we bail them out without any changes in the rules that
govern them. The foxes are guarding the henhouse. That's why people
are protesting.

Cheers,
Judah