mmmmmm maybe. I do hear that the police have a side of the story too,
and I am not overlooking that. But as PT said -- they are also the
police. They have riot gear. Sure it must suck when someone gets blue
paint on your uniform, which did happen at one point in Oakland, and
which some people said crossed the line. But they have weapons. And
shields. And are getting paid to be there. They are also the people
who have the power to determine many of the outcomes.

I kinda agree that there are probably some professional activists
behind this movement and that at least in Oakland they maybe were
looking for police brutality from the start, so they could make an
issue of it. The slick videos edited in a similar manner, highlighting
the pepper spray canister in New York, the flash-bang in Oakland. The
rather good organization. And I suspect that the activists will go on
to another issue after this. Sure. I have no doubt that Occupy Santa
Cruz is full of the same people who had a sleep-in and a smoke-in on
the courthouse lawn last year. Kinda the underside of the hippy
movement. A lot of that is just that it's Santa Cruz. BUT.

That does not mean that those activists or the people joining up are
not sincere.

Or, especially, it does not mean that they do not have a point. Nobody
had a weapon to that cop's head when he threw a stun grenade. The
officer that pepper-sprayed three women kneeling on the sidewalk was a
commander. So what does that tell you? This sort of stuff is perceived
to be ok. Has always *been* ok. The subway police keep shooting
unarmed men. Everyone is outraged when a cop rams a pretty white
teenager with his motorcycle, but the homies expect it. Back in
Albuquerque a professional, a lawyer my age, assured me that
unprovoked violence is pretty much the norm if you're young, speak
Spanish and somebody thinks you're suspicious. Oakland has extra
shades of "colored" is all. The violence is there. That's not a
made-up issue.

Maybe a few coeds, irreproachable Marines and little old ladies needed
to get arrested to make a point. This does happen if you overstep your
bounds. Nice middle-class people don't usually run into them is all,
but the system *is violent. And  black men getting hurt in Oakland
doesn't make the news or make anyone say huh, what were they thinking?
And I do wonder what they were thinking in many of these incidents. I
want it not to be "dirtbag hippies, get out of my sight. Stop making
me question my actions." Of course I say this as a constitutional
peasant :)

"I mean, if I went 'round saying I was an emperor just because some
moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away! " (and
I am amused that someone thought it needed subtitles)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOOTKA0aGI0

As for the organized nature of the protests, well, I rather applaud
the organization. These encampments were being called chaotic a week
or two ago. A neighborhood watch may not be a bad thing. Yes, the
group seems to determine ahead of time who is willing to get arrested,
and I gather that the meetings are probably facilitated in some way.
But isn't that better really? Some people are willing to get arrested
as an act of civil disobedience, and some people are not. So... in
some ways, if they have found a way to make that work better, I say
good. As long as they stick to organizing, I have no quarrel with
organizers being present. Yet, anyway. Doesn't mean I'm on my way over
there to be a good soldier, but I wasn't paying attention before and
now I am.

BTW I am not sure I agree that violence was inevitable. San Jose is
small, but they've managed to avoid ugliness. Oakland seems to have
reached a truce. Of course, that didn't make the news -- maybe that's
the real issue, hmm?