I'm not a Taylor Swift fan but the folks over at Saving Country Music
(who are virulently anti-pop country) just had a really good article
on why Taylor Swift is successful and why she doesn't follow the rules
of modern pop country.

http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/keys-to-taylor-swifts-success-every-artist-can-learn-from

Great site, overall, btw. Brilliant place to learn about all sorts of
up and coming bands from outlaw country, alt country, bluegrass,
cowpunk, etc. Met the dude who runs it at Pickathon this year and he
pours a lot of heart and knowledge into his writing. Highly
recommended.

Judah