Huh .. usually EVGA is good about customer service stuff.

You have to be careful with those higher end cards.  You have to watch
the temps.  If you rely on the default fan speed settings, your card
might get up to the 90's under heavy load.  A single card shouldn't be a
problem under normal load, but it's really something to watch for in SLI
configs.  My top card runs 10C hotter than the bottom card because it is
getting all of the bottom card's excess heat.

Still, the card's are supposed to drop the core clock if they overheat.
  I have never been interested in testing this functionality.

What series card was it?