On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 7:02 PM, William Bowen <william.bo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Co-ed" is an antiquated term. Referring to a female student as such
> is demeaning. It suggests that a special allowance was made for her to
> be attending the school because she is not of a privileged (read:
> male) set.

That's what the media calls her, it makes her sound like she's just
out of high school.

> She *is* a law student. Got a link to an article that says she's not?

She's also a Lawyer, has been for a while. She said she signed up as a
student because the didn't offer contraception with their insurance.

> So? Oh holy hell, Sam, you're not next going to suggest that she's
> uppity, too, are you?

So is she a co-ed student that can't afford condoms or birth control
for $10 a month at Walmart or is she an activist lawyer looking for a
cause?

>> In one of her first interviews she is quoted as talking about how she
>> reviewed
>> Georgetown’s insurance policy prior to committing to attend, and
>> seeing that it didn’t cover contraceptive services,  she decided to
>> attend with the express purpose of battling this policy.
>
> And? Being an active member of the Law Students for Reproductive
> Justice (LSRJ) I would imagine she might indeed have something to say
> on the subject.

That's fine if you feel she's a legitimate witness. But remember,
school health plans are not group plans and are not affected by any
laws so it's a totally moot point. Not a very good lawyer I'd say.
Plus, if she was an employee of Georgetown she would be eligible for
free condoms even though that law has kicked in yet.

>> During this time, she was described as a 23-year-old coed.
>
> By whom? Media outlets? Herself? Whom? You provide no link to a source
> on what must be, surely by now, called "age-gate"... Because what else
> should we talk about but her age and her subjective attractiveness (as
> you do in a later post in this thread "You obviously haven't seen her
> photo :)
> Makes me wonder how she finds five victims a day")? From that
> statement I can derive that you don't find her attractive, and since
> you don't find her attractive, it must be inconceivable that anyone
> else does. Therefore, I gather, I your opinion, her message should be
> suspect.

No, my opinion is she's not attractive, that doesn't mean she won't
get some. Just sounds like the need for five condoms a day "might"
have been exaggerated. But that's just me speculating.

> Why, again, would her age matter?

Because it's hard to believe a 30-year-old lawyer paying $60,000 a
year to go back to law school can't afford condoms.

> Oh bullshit, Sam. Really? Played? She's a woman, a law student an a
> member of an organization which focuses on reproductive justice. I'd
> say and that makes her a damn-sight better qualified to testify on
> women's reproductive issues than any of these clergymen:
> http://www.thenation.com/blog/166311/republican-hearing-contraception-no-women-allowed

Actually the panel was about religion not about reproductive rights.
The second panel had woman on it as you're updated article states.
And, as I keep stating, it doesn't apply to this. The law does not
apply to Universities offering health care.