it sounds fair until you stop looking at amount paid and look what the
money would be spent on instead if taxes were different. If people are
paying taxes instead of their rent, there's a social problem there,
assuming we're talking about a reasonable rent. If it's a matter of flying
second-class instead of first when the family goes on vacation, you don't
have the same desperate flavor to the choices. You may still feel that
there are inequities, but they won't be those inequities.

Cam and I had a huge thread on this a couple of years ago. Assuming I
understood him, he feels sure that a flat tax would only apply past a
certain income level. It is possible that if that "certain income level" is
high enough, you might avoid the worst consequences of this structure. In
other words, you wouldn't be taxing money people need to live.  We did not
agree on where "a certain level" would be, and it may depend a lot on the
local cost of living, the situation and the actual legislation that might
pass.

However, a tax would still be not be "progressive" because that's defined
as a tax structure model where the percentage of income paid in tax goes at
higher income levels. Larry may correct me here, but I don't think it would
be "regressive" either, as the proportion is, well, flat. An example of a
regressive tax is Social Security, which only taxes the first 80-something
thousand, so Bill Gates pays proportionately much less into that system
than you do.

It's tempting to want to simplify the tax code, god knows, but everybody
likes the deductions they get to use, so it's hard to get consensus behind
eliminating loopholes. Also, the usual number I hear bandied about in flat
tax proposals is 10%, also, which would represent a considerable tax cut
for upper-income taxpayers. Whether eliminating deductions would balance
that out is a good question.