Yes... and no. As with any medium for marketing it depends on the product
and it depends on the campaign. A poor marketing campaign isn't going to
engage people no matter how many ads you buy or how many different mediums
you utilize. This isn't quite a case of "if you build it they will come."
Not that you're saying it is... but it does sound a bit like you are.