The sad thing is that Columbus is still pushed as the discoverer of the
Americas and even as the first European to land on the shores of North
America.  I got into an argument with one of the Curators at the Field
Museum (one of my sacred shrines...prior to becoming a developer, I was 3
years into a degree in anthropology, specializing in North and South
American prehistory) about this when they opened a new exhibit on Naïve
Americans a few years back.  They had some signage at the end of the exhibit
that said that the first European to land on NA's shore was Columbus.  So I
went to him asking why that was up there when we know and have known for a
fact for quite some time that Leif Erickson was in Newfoundland 1000 years
earlier and we even have found Norse settlements there dating something like
600 years before Columbus.  There is a whole Norse Saga dedicated to the
exploration of the east coast of NA.  He told me that they have to show what
the public wants.  I told him bullshit...as a museum it is  your job to
educate the people, not perpetuate falsehoods.  That really irked me.  All
Columbus did was find a tiny island in the Caribbean and never set foot on
Continental  North American soil...and thought he was off the coast of
China.  I don't celebrate Columbus Day...I view it as a day of
mourning...the beginning of the systematic genocide of the North American
Indian people stating with the Spanish and their atrocities, both physical
and cultural and continuing with the American government's constant
dishonorable betrayal of just about every treaty and agreement with the NAI
people.

These people had many great cultures that did some pretty amazing stuff
considering the technology they had.  I had the honor of visiting the
Hopewell mounds a couple of summers ago while I was doing a contract in SE
Indiana.  The Hopewell mounds are located along the Scioto River near
Chillicothe, OH.  Other mounds in their culture include the mounds just east
of St. Louis, MO in Cahokia, IL.  The Hopewells had grave goods that were
made of materials from the east coast, the gulf coast, the Rocky mountains,
and Mexico.  One of the more iconic ones is a hand made from Mica that came
from West Virginia.  I went to the mound that this artifact was excavated
from.  It stands over 60 feet high, 30 feet across and 60 feet long.  The
built this mound by carrying buckets made of reeds or wood strips...no
excavation equipment...all by hand.  There are over 60 something sites in
the area and sites in several other states.  The materials they used were
collected by trading and travelling on foot.  Keep in mind that while horses
and camels are native to North America, by the time the ancestors of these
people came to North America, they were all extinct and they did not see
horses until the Spanish brought them here from Europe.  That is pretty
amazing what they accomplished.  On the way to Chillicothe, I stopped at
another archaeological site called Ft. Ancient.  It was built by the
ancestors of today's Cherokee.  This site was a massive enclosure built with
earthen walls surrounding the site.  One side was built up along the ridge
of the Little Miami River valley gorge...an incredibly beautiful overlook.
This site is a 100 acre complex.  The walls, they believe towered up to 40
ft.  It gets its name because 19th century excavator thought that the only
possible use for this complex would be as a military fort.  There is no
evidence of this.  The scale of this is mind boggling and really a testament
to the ingenuity of humans.  Again...they didn't have machinery to build all
of this.  Until Europeans came to North America, they didn't even possess a
metallurgical technology, so any digging implements were made of stone,
wood, or bone.  Pretty amazing people...

That's not even getting into the Maya, Aztec, Incas, or the Iroquois
Confederation...

Eric