http://pss.sagepub.com/content/19/6/565.short

Why Are Conservatives Happier Than Liberals?
Jaime L. Napier and John T. Jost
Psychological Science June 2008 vol. 19 no. 6 565-572
Abstract

In this research, we drew on system-justification theory and the
notion that conservative ideology serves a palliative function to
explain why conservatives are happier than liberals. Specifically, in
three studies using nationally representative data from the United
States and nine additional countries, we found that right-wing (vs.
left-wing) orientation is indeed associated with greater subjective
well-being and that the relation between political orientation and
subjective well-being is mediated by the rationalization of
inequality. In our third study, we found that increasing economic
inequality (as measured by the Gini index) from 1974 to 2004 has
exacerbated the happiness gap between liberals and conservatives,
apparently because conservatives (more than liberals) possess an
ideological buffer against the negative hedonic effects of economic
inequality.