by the way I wanted to thank you guys for answering this. I am still
dealing with it off and on.

FWIW, Asus says hmm well we really don't recommend using a non-ASUS cord
and it *is* a different shape than the "standard" power cord, so...ASUS is
the way we are going. But no, the fact that he bought it in Malaysia
doesn't change the problem at all, which was my real question.

On the other hand, the user doesn't seem to want to order it on the ASUS
website, but I guess if there's a bricks and mortar store anywhere that
sells such a thing, it would be in the south bay...just amused by the whole
thing.