How can someone so stupid be elected time and again:

http://thinkprogress.org/election/2012/10/12/1003121/todd-akin-no-science-behind-evolution/

"I’ve taken a look at both sides of the thing [evolution] and it seems
to me that evolution takes a tremendous amount of faith To have all of
the sudden all the different things that have to be lined up to create
something as sophisticated as life, it takes a lot of faith.
I don’t see it as even a matter of science because I don’t know that
you can prove one or the other. That’s one of those things. We can
talk about theology and all of those other things but I’m basically
concerned about, you’ve got a choice between Claire McCaskill and
myself."

And this person is on the Science and Technology Committee in Con