http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2012/10/23/mourdock-god-intended-for-babies-to-result-from-rape/

Mourdock: Pregnancy from rape can be ‘something that God intended to happen’
Posted by Aaron Blake on October 23, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Indiana Republican Senate candidate Richard Mourdock said Tuesday that
pregnancy that results from rape can be “something that God intended
to happen.”
“I struggled with it myself for a long time, but I came to realize
life is that gift from God,” Mourdock said at a debate. “And I think
even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is
something that God intended to happen.”

Mourdock appeared to be choking up as he made the comments. He also
noted that, while he doesn’t believe in abortion in the case of rape
and incest, he does believe it should be used to save the life of the
mother. Democrats immediately pounced on the comment, suggesting that
Mourdock was saying God intended for rapes to occur.

“The God I believe in and the God I know most Hoosiers believe in,
does not intend for rape to happen — ever,” Mourdock’s opponent, Rep.
Joe Donnelly (D), said in a statement. “What Mr. Mourdock said is
shocking, and it is stunning that he would be so disrespectful to
survivors of rape.”

Mourdock’s campaign clarified after the debate that Mourdock was not
saying that God intends for rapes to occur. “God creates life, and
that was my point,” Mourdock said in the statement. “God does not want
rape, and by no means was I suggesting that he does. Rape is a
horrible thing, and for anyone to twist my words otherwise is absurd
and sick.”

Democrats also noted that Mitt Romney cut an ad for Mourdock this
week, attempting to tie the GOP presidential candidate to Mourdock’s
comment. Romney’s campaign quickly distanced itself from the remark.
“Gov. Romney disagrees with Richard Mourdock’s comments, and they do
not reflect his views,” Romney spokeswoman Andrea Saul said.

But while Romney distanced himself Tuesday, by Wednesday morning,
National Republican Senatorial Committee Chairman John Cornyn
(R-Texas) gave Mourdock a vote of support. “Richard and I, along with
millions of Americans – including even Joe Donnelly – believe that
life is a gift from God,” Cornyn said. “To try and construe his words
as anything other than a restatement of that belief is irresponsible
and ridiculous.”

While about half of Americans oppose abortion, many who do also
support exceptions in the case of rape and incest. Mourdock, who beat
longtime Sen. Richard Lugar (R-Ind.) in a primary earlier this year,
is locked in a tight race with Donnelly despite Indiana’s Republican
lean. For the national GOP, it’s a potential case of deja vu. The
party’s chances in the Missouri Senate race plummeted when newly
minted nominee Rep. Todd Akin remarked in August that “legitimate
rape” rarely causes pregnancy.
Akin has since apologized for the comment but is struggling both in
the polls and in fundraising. GOP leaders tried unsuccessfully to push
him out of the race so they could get a different candidate