His dad made that clear, not the kid.  I would have the same problem if
this were done through direct fire.  The kid was targeted based on
"patterns"  in a "profile" attack.  Not evidence.

There is no evidence that he himself had been active as a bad guy.  The kid
didn't say he was at war with the States, and his Dad had already been dead
for 2 weeks.  He was not armed on the battlefield, which to me is something
just and totally different.