interesting blog piece. I agree with most of it.

One example of the current republican party approach that is very
telling is to consider this, in the 1970's almost 2/3rds of all
scientists were Republicans. Now its less than 6%. Most of the
scientists interviewed for the last AAAS survey of this kind listed
the current republican party anti-science attitude (e.g., support for
such dubious things as creationism etc) as the primary reason.