Malaign/marganilize them with unsubstantiated rumors and accusations.

Buy them off with retirement and big contractor jobs.

If that doesn't work prosecute them under states secrets or mental health
laws.

Finally if they just won't be swayed they wash up without their life
preserver three days after their boat is found, or commit suicide in the
park.