I'd like a citation on that. But it appears that mead and beer may
have evolved around the same time.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/alcohol-s-neolithic-origins-brewing-up-a-civilization-a-668642.html

Bu tit makes a lot of sense if you think about it. The weak beer and
mead produced initially have a common thread, no infectious bacteria.
Those tribes and villages who made beer or mead tended to be healthier
and live longer. Therefore these groups are more likely to survive and
reproduce. So the behavior spread throughout the region. It would have
encouraged agriculture - less effort to gather grains etc needed. And
when combined with domestication efforts (in as little as 100 years by
some estimates) of cereal grains this would have encouraged a
sedentary life style.