We've been the opposite... We've always owned just the tiny compact digital
cameras due to my wife wanting something that she can throw in her pocket
and take pictures with using one hand.  But this year I finally got the
financial committee to sign off on a Canon Rebel t4i.  I'm loving what I
can do with it and the wife is happy that it has a full "auto" mode that
still takes damn good pictures.  I did photography a long time ago with a
manual 35mm Olympus film camera and nearly forgot all the fun you can have
with f-stops and exposure lengths.  Throw in a good set of neutral density
filters and it's set to go.

But holy crap the lenses are expensive!  I'm now lusting over a couple of
Canon lenses, the 18-135mm STM IS and a fixed 40mm STM IS  and waiting for
a good sale before buying...  Would really like some of the USM lenses, but
those cost more than the camera!... LOL!  I will say that the ones that
came with the camera (a package deal from Buy.com) are really good but they
don't cover some of the things I want to do.