I'll take a crack at it.

It seems from the referenced article that a person of some importance
on a particular sports-ball franchise used his trotter in a
demonstrably--depending upon one's point of view, or, I assume,
franchise affiliation--illegal, or if not illegal, questionable
manner.

Further, it seems that the victim of said attack, though still
suffering from the ill effects, has sought audience with and received
assurances from the alleged attacker, and that apologies of an
appropriate sort have been made.

Now, what I cannot understand is why one cannot use one's feet if a
game with the moniker "FOOT"ball. From the comments posted it should
be renamed, "OW! Mom! He stepped on me"-ball.

:-)