If the currency is only for use in Virginia, then I don't see the problem.
If other states want to accept the Virginia currency as a form of payment,
then let them.   Micro economies have existed for centuries using all
manner of items accepted as "valuable".  If the currency is backed by gold,
then there is the standard.  It would be no different than me using a gold
or silver coin for a transaction with a vendor or the state, and it's
frankly, no business of the Federal Government how I pay for goods in my
own state.

--
Jeff