The religious threads are getting kind of long.  I thought I would post
something non-controversial for those getting tired of debating religion.

So, if you are following the Affordable Care Act, you have probably seen a
few articles recently.

Here are some of the highlights:

The IRS recently said that by 2016, the least expensive insurance plan will
cost a family of five $20,000 per year.  That's not including the
deductibles.

The Affordable Care Act stipulates what an employer who has 50 full time
employees has to pay in coverage for an employee.  It does NOT stipulate
what an employer has to pay for family coverage.  IF family coverage is
offered, the rate can be whatever the employer wants.  And that's IF.  Back
in Dec, the Obama administration stated that children had to be covered but
stated there would be no penalties if it was unaffordable.  This month, the
IRS said that affordability will not be determined by family plans, only
individual.  Also, the IRS that there would be NO subsidies offered to pay
for insurance for employees' children.  Oops.

Here's a little summary

   - The term “dependents” for purpose of the offer of coverage, has been
   defined to include only employees’ children under age 26 and does not
   include employees’ spouses.
   - Affordability under the mandate is based solely on the cost for
   employee-only coverage, so plans can require employees to pay the entire
   cost of dependent coverage.

Recently, the CBO doubled it's original estimate of the number of people
who will lose coverage.  It now stands at 8 million in 2016.  This jumps to
12 million in 2019.

Here's a good one.  Many states are refusing to set up insurance exchanges.
 This means that the Federal government can set up an exchange. However,
the law states that only state level exchanges can issue subsidies.  The
Obama administration has unsurprisingly said it will ignore the letter of
its own law and issue the subsidies.  If the courts uphold the law as it is
written, it is project that the lack of subsidies will cost another 8
million people insurance.

On an individual state level, I have read that CA does not have enough
doctors to implement the Affordable Care Act.  That the legislature is try
to find a way to license other health care providers to care for things
like diabetes.

-

08-11-2009: I have not said that I was a single-payer supporter, because,
frankly, we historically have had a employer-based system in this country,
with private insurers, and for us to transition to a system like that, I
believe would be too disruptive.

06-30-2003: A single-payer health care plan, a universal health care plan.
That's what I’d like to see.

03-24-2007: My commitment is to make sure that we've got universal
healthcare for all Americans by the end of my first term as president. I
would hope that we could set up a system that allows those who can't go
through their employer to access a federal system or a state pool of some
sort. But I don't think we're going to be able to eliminate employer
coverage immediately. There's going to be potentially some transition
process. I can envision a decade out, or 15 years out, or 20 years out.

- Barack Ob