At 09:02 PM 6/21/02 -0400, you wrote:
> [...]

Recall the Arafat/Barak/Clinton days, when Arafat reputedly told Clinton
that accepting the plan would mean his death. And that was before the
Intifada IIRC.

>> > Question 2:  If he is, does he have the support of the people enough to
>at
>> > least reduce the bombings and begin to approach some type of stability?
>>
>> Not before there are signs of a Israeli retreat. One of the reasons why
>> he is asking for a permanent agreement instead of the next interim
>> agreement.
>
>Yeah, but Sharon says "no retreat" until the attacks stop.  Who is to
>sincerely extend the first olive branch?  Maybe this is it .. who knows?  We
>can only hope.

A related two-fold question:
can Arafat control the Palestinian violence (if he isn't behind it) long
enough to look sincere, and will Sharon recognize it and respond in kind?

>> > Question 3:  What do the other Arab states think of this?
>>
>> Guess who will have to take care permanently of all the people that
>> can't return. They won't like it.
>
>That's what I'm worried about more than anything.
>
>Todd

Guess who *could* have taken care of all the Palestinian refugees,
but instead let them rot in camps all these years, fomenting the
frustration and violence?

-Ben