"Read into that what you will, but when a co-equal member of our government
effectively says (through an appointed mouthpiece), 'We can't wait for Congress
to act, so we're going to take the steps that we can take,' and thumbs his
nose at the process, as dysfunctional as it is, some are going to see that
as ruling by fiat."

That is being way too rational.  Michelle agrees with you though:

And I think that Barack has done a phenomenal job working around a Congress
that has never been willing to help move the country forward on so many
different issues. But I think he’s done everything humanly possible to get
things passed around the margins. - Michelle Obama

-

It is the absolute right of the State to supervise the formation of public
opinion. - Joseph Goebbels