For a while there was a myth about oil (none in any significant amounts)
then uranium and other minerals (all to inaccessible).

But it is a mineral rich nation, if they could ever get their act together

http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/2013/05/18/184775139/Afghan-Mineral-Treasures-Stay-Buried-Hostage-To-Uncertainty