I was going to respond that it appears then that atheists are actively
working to dumb themselves down...
http://now.msn.com/jason-heap-atheist-wants-to-become-navy-chaplain

But then I decided to get a bit more metaphysical since this paper is the
result of a meta-analysis.  Why does this make a difference?  What is so
important about religion that makes atheists/humanists feel they must
scientifically state that they are better than those (nitwits) willing to
attribute aspects of life (and death) that cannot be explained to one or
more deities?

I can posit only a few theories:
1. Active recruitment
2. Self-justification
3. Oppression of opposing beliefs

Actually, if you look at that list (and it could be a combination of
those), they line up with the non-religious aspects of many other organized
religions... which, coupled with the link above continue to justify my view
that atheism/humanism have now morphed into yet another "organized"
religion, with their religiosity based on their strict adherence to
humanist dogma.

Therefore, my original statement stands.  While studies may show that
atheists are "more intelligent", they now appear to be following the same
patterns and practices that established religions have in the past and
therefore are actively working to dumb themselves down.

Until Later!
C. Hatton Humphrey
http://www.eastcoastconservative.com

Every cloud does have a silver lining.  Sometimes you just have to do some
smelting to find it.