A handfasting can also be a legal wedding...but yes, you are correct.

-----Original Message-----
From: C. Hatton Humphrey [mailto:chumph...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2014 2:18 PM
To: cf-community
Subject: Re: For those who said...

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 1:16 PM, Larry C. Lyons <larrycly...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Personally I'd like to see the two completely divorced. You can get
> married without the Religious ceremony (without the dubious benefits
> of the ritual). You could also engage in Religious Matrimony without
> the legal marriage (although you get none of the contractual or other
> government benefits).

You can already do the first.

A civil marriage can be performed by a Justice of the Peace or a ship's
captain (I believe).

For the latter, my memory of pagan ceremonial rites are but I remember
something about handfastings being breakable without civil implication for
the first year.  Someone more familiar with the practice would have to
correct me on that one.

But you're right in your assertion, my problem is not with the concept of
same sex couples nor is it with the tax and legal implications that sprout
from recognizing those couples in a civil (legal) union.  It breaks my heart
that there have been instances (on this list?) where a long-term partner has
been denied access because they didn't "go through it."  It is with the
application of the religious connotation of marriage to those couples.

I understand that there are many non-religious and anti-religious folks on
this list and I'm not going to spend time trying to prosthelytize to any of
them nor am I going to try to "convert" them to understanding my emotional
stance.

Until Later!
C. Hatton Humphrey
http://www.eastcoastconservative.com

Every cloud does have a silver lining.  Sometimes you just have to do some
smelting to find it.