Given the degree of vitriol and hatred exhibited by the supporters of
Prop 8, the reaction is understandable - he supported hate based
legislation and did it publicly, while making a public donation to the
cause.. There are always consequences for supporting hatre. Brendan
Eich didn't have to verbally and financially support Prop 8. He didn't
have to support the hatred and accusations of bestiality, pedophilia
etc that the supporters of the proposition kept spewing. So he engaged
in a set of behaviors, and now has to accept the consequences. This
wasn't the government or the so called gay lobby who forced his
resignation, but members of the board and Mozilla employees.

Its very similar to someone donating to a Neo Nazi group - how would a
jewish employee feel about working for someone who supported that sort
of thing.