And as someone right in the middle of the Boston issue (heck, I had dinner
100 feet from where the MIT cop was shot about 3 hours before he was shot,
after a php meetup), it was all handle pretty well.

The police did not overstep, because we ALL were in it with them. There was
no (or very very little) "us vs them" with the police that few days. The
"us vs them" was pretty clear in our minds who the them was.