Right the 13 Colonies won their independence from England.

Then we more than doubled the size of the US by purchasing the French
colonies from Napoleon. Then we fought a war with Spain and Mexico for
the rest.

The war with England, was just the start. More land was gained from
France, and later Russia than from England. You guys just pissed off the
founding fathers. Got 'em all riled up and looking for a fight.