Lets see the proof that many do Rick...you made the initial claim...

8.7% BTW...that is not many...

http://federalsafetynet.com/welfare-fraud.html

Here's one state's results of it's search for wefare fraud...

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/01/08/3136631/lepage-welfare/

Here's another that says its 2-3%

http://www.roanen.com/presidential-thoughts-blog/how-much-is-welfare-fraud-c
osting-us

Here's another at 2%

http://spritzophrenia.wordpress.com/2011/01/04/how-bad-is-welfare-fraud-in-t
he-usa/

Sounds to me like it is more like some than many.  Yes ther are people
abusing it...there always will be...but the bulk of the people are not
abusing it and are people that really need it.

Eric