Fragmentation is an issue and it's also a consequence of an "open"
platform... Which provides a common OS Ecosystem to any vendor willing to
create a phone.   This enables rapid innovation while spreading the risk,
which in turn creates new markets.

Without that innovative engine would there be a 5" iPhone with Apple pay?
Maybe... But maybe not