When we say things like "didn't take jobs" that implies that there were
jobs for the taking. There were not a lot of unfilled jobs out there, so
how could unemployment benefits have any affect on whether or not an
individual got a job?

If there were a bunch of unfilled jobs and people were choosing to continue
unemployment benefits instead of applying for those jobs, I could
understand the point. But nothing in the article or anywhere else I've read
says that there were a bunch of unfilled jobs just waiting for unemployed
applicants.

Cheers,
Judah