Are you trolling, or really asking?

The difference is, Lindh is an American citizen, fighting against American soldiers in
a time of war.

If you do exactly the same thing (a US citizen fighting against the US), you would not
be considered a POW.

If you are not a US citizen (or, arguably, hold dual citizenship), that would place
you in a different category. But, still (according to the rules the US has put in
place for this conflict), maybe not a POW, but maybe instead an illegal combatent.
Depending on your actions and the legal status of the war at the time. And, as
importantly, what the US can get away with.

Jerry Johnson

Howie Hamlin wrote:
> The charges were:
>
> - conspiring to murder U.S. nationals in Afghanistan

Did he conspire while in the US or while in Afghanistan?

> - using and carrying firearms and destructive devices during violent crimes - stems
>from Lindh's alleged admission that
> he carried machine guns and grenades.

And if I do exactly the same I am considered a POW. And after the
conflict I get released in a POW exchange (not that the Taliban have
much to exchange, but take the Gulf War as an example).

Why would his case be different?

Jochem