Bill Wheatley wrote:
> :) I've had the fun of getting to see a Hammer in access. Friend works for
> AMD so i have a few perks lol.

Single processor or multiprocessor?

> Even on benchmarks it looks like the AMD chips are at parity with the new
> INTEL 64 bit line.
> And in time i'm sure AMD 64bit chips will improve and provide a much better
> solution then the intel chips.

I am not so sure about that. All benchmarks I have seen are for single
processor machines. Performance gains are easy to achieve there due to
the integration of the northbridge and the processor, which reduces the
latency for memory access significantly because there is no need to
access another subsystem through a link of limited capacity. And I
believe a significant part of the performance improvements over Athlons
is due to this reduced latency.

For multiprocessor machines however, this advantage is significantly
less. Because in for instance an 8-way machine, only 1/8 of the memory
is accessible directly from a certain CPU, for the rest the CPU has to
talk to another CPU which can access the memory. So the latency of
talking over link with limited capacity is re-introduced here. I would
not be surprised if the performance gain from going from 1 to 2
processors (up to 100% on traditional SMP machines) is significantly
less on this located memory architecture. And a large part of the
success will depend on the availability of NUMA drivers that will be
able to bind certain processes to a certain CPU, even if that CPU is
already lightly used and another one is completely free.

Jochem