Cantrell, Adam wrote:
>>So decreasing the CO2 emissions could very well
>>lead to higher NOx emissions.
>
> But as you said, this would only be the case if they tried meeting the
> regulation by increasing engine temps right?

Yes.

> I think the new standards are
> going to require automakers to rethink some of their actual body and engine
> designs in order to meet them. A lighter, more aerodynamic vehicle will
> require less fuel than a heavier, clunky one. Engine temperature aside,
> won't this reduce total emissions?

Yes.

> If it was a matter of simply increasing the engine temperature, I don't
> think GM and Ford would be having such a big hissy fit over it.

I think the problem is actually quite complex, because I don't see the
average consumer willing to give up some of the extra weight that makes
him feel safe or the crowbar that makes his car look cool. Changing the
opinion of the general public on how a car should look and feel even a
little bit is probably much harder as driving the engineering to the
extreme. I don't think that the guy who said that "most inventions are
intended to keep things appear the same" was very far of the mark.

Jochem