Until I got out of the military, and I changed my residence I voted in NY.
I got a ballot mailed to me, and mailed it back.  I even voted (fro Harry
Brown) while I was in the middle east.  Voting goes by residency.  Generally
you are a resident somewhere once you lived there like 6 months. Just make
DC a neutral place, you don't attain residency.  You continue to pay your
initial states taxes, vote in their elections, and gain whatever benefits
you get for belonging to that state.

Tim