From: Howie Hamlin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 8:00 AM
To: CF-Community
Subject: Re: SP3 problem

Here are some good articles about SP3:

SP3's Unexpected Automatic Updates Behavior
http://www.winnetmag.com/articles/index.cfm?articleid=26310

SP3 Refusniks
Some people object to the licensing terms in SP3. They are similar to the
ones of the new Media Player. MS reserves many
rights. Read the articles in the links below and you will see what they are
referring to. There is just one snag. Think
about security. SP3 is crucial and would leave them open for hacking. The
tradeoff is not that difficult but definitely
means a "choice between two evils" Unless you hack SP3 of course...[grin]
More about that in the links below.

Item about Win2k SP3, the 'snooper' license, and the workaround
http://www.w2knews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=020826RN-License_Workaround

And here is an interesting article on how to defang SP3 all together!
http://www.w2knews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=020826RN-Defang_SP3

Regards,

Howie