Dan Haley wrote:
> Sorry, I just reread what I wrote and it came across as negative.

If you feel negative energy, feel free to send some lightning this way.
I'm a big boy :)

/me puts on his anti-static bracelet just in case

> I actually have a lot of respect for your perceptions as I assume them to be
> based on your comments in the past.  They are very insightful and show a lot
> of common sense.

Thank you.

There are some issues I feel very strongly about. People posting a 2
line solutions like "Let's invade Iraq and remove Saddam" for what is
really a complex problem is one of them (I'll just stick to that for
now, because it makes nice examples). Why? Basically because it is cheap.
If you wish to start a new thread with something like that, fine. But
you better have arguments ready, because I want to be convinced by
arguments instead of slogans, and I will make you work for it to
convince me (if I have any time at hands).
I sometimes exagerate things in order to find out what motives,
justifications and consequences people might have thought about.
So when I compared GW to Saddam, I was actually trying to find out if
somebody has thought about the fact that we generally don't hold heads
of state responsible for actions of the state. And if we start doing
that with Saddam, does that mean that somebody in the US can start
sueing GW in person, instead of the US?
If somebody proposes to just kidnap Saddam, has he thought about the
consequences when civil war breaks out in Iraq? Or if it fails and
Saddam fires Scuds with Sarin at Israel, what to do then?
And why just remove Saddam, when Pakistan is doing the same? Could that
be because of GW taking revenge for Daddy? Could it be because of oil?
Or because of a concern for the safety of the region or the entire world?

But please don't assume to much of what I write to be my opinion.
Usually only later on in threads I start to about my opinion, if I have
one at all (and if you want to know, ask). And my opinion might change
over time (especially Michael is pretty convincing in some threads).
Correction, my opinion *is* changing all the time. The other day I read
something on Slashdot like "Why do we say that guns kill, yet persist in
the idea that it is people that copy illegal CD's, and not the CD
writers?". I didn't know the answer to that simple question (I still
don't). And that does change my opinion on both issues, and I think for
the better.

> As for your question, you nailed it.  We have different expectations for the
> rest of the world than we do for ourselves!

There is nothing wrong with different expectations. I expect gas to be
cheaper in the US as here :)
Believing in different values being right in different parts of the
world is an entirely different thing.

> So, have you spent time in the US?  Just curious.

No.

Jochem