I agree that this was not the time for the courts to let well enough be.
The US Constitution specifically states that the State
legislature is to define how senators and representatives are elected.  They
did so, specifying unambiguously a "cooling" off period before an election
within which the players can't change (51 days?).  Just as clearly, the NJ
Supreme Court totally ignored the law(31? days was OK).  It was the US
Supreme Court's job to slap them on the wrist and force the issue back into
the legislature.

The US Constitution is based off of 3 branches of power controlling each
other.  I am a republican.  I DO NOT want a republican Pres, Senate and
House.  For years, there has been a shift from law being set in the
legislature to them not having the courage to do so and the courts modifying
the laws to adjust to current thinking.  This is NOT a good idea because it
reduces the pressure on our elected officials to do what they get paid for.
It shifts control into the hands of people who are not up for election as
frequently, who are not supposed to be in touch with local constituents, and
of people who are not supposed to represent one person over another. One of
the reasons we have jury trials is to provide this weighing of the law in
specific instances.

Over the next 5-1--20 years who got elected in NJ will mean diddly.  Every
nick in any of the 3 legs of democracy weaken the balance of the chair.

Andy