> I wonder why it was then decided not to put a separation between
> religion and state in the constitution. For instance, isn't it true that
> if you attend the right religious schools you are excempt from military
> service?

I wil venture a guess, but its just a guess:
in 1948 the secular movement had just sort of started.  Previously,
non-practicing jews just sort of forgot their judaism (i.e. like the many
jews in germany who didn't even consider themselves jewish who were killed
in concentration camps)  - there really wasn't such a thing as a jew like
myself.  It wouldn't have occured to folks to consider the consequences of
the holocaust would be a huge secular population of folks who consider
themselves jewish, but dont' practice any religion.

In addition, the religious right has a hyuge amount of power for its size in
israel.