I can't imagine anything more frightening than feeling so hopeless that it
is preferable to end it than to go on.  Maybe I find it so frightening
because I've peeked over that brink before (no, I never tried it, but more
than once it was a close decision).

Just keep in mind (and remind the family) that the feelings that lead to
suicide are overwhelming.  The negative emotion is so strong that it makes
you ignore all the good things in life.  That doesn't mean they aren't
there.  From what you say, I'm sure he didn't commit suicide because you
weren't a good enough friend, or he didn't love his wife and kids.  Remember
that.

I've worked hard at learning to find the good things in life.  I've worked
hard at reminding myself of the people I love and them of the fact that I
love them.  If anyone else out there is nearing the edge, reach out to your
friends, loved ones, therapist, hotline, me, whatever.  I've never been so
alone that there wasn't someone to pull me back, and if you really think
about it, you aren't either.

  --Ben Doom
    Programmer & General Lackey
    Moonbow Software